Friday, June 18, 2010

Green Granola Girls

As I have mentioned before, I like to dabble in a variety of crafts - admittedly, with varying degrees of success. When I was younger I would try to utilize scraps of fabric, stray pieces of pretty ribbon, and bits of yarn. In today's language we would probably say that I was a budding found-objects artist. In reality, my collection of materials just made me look like a bag lady with a collection of odds-and-ends to sell to have money to feed her 86 cats.

Whilst I now turn to more conventional materials for my craftings, I greatly admire others' ability to reinvent something lowly into something high-end. So, when I read about EvenOdd in the Democrat & Chronicle, I admit I kind of squeed at the thought.

You see a lot of businesses with vinyl banners promoting their "OMG COME TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OUR GREAT DEALS - WHILE THEY LAST!" but what happens when the sale is over? Well, usually businesses just throw out those banners. That's not so green friendly. The awesome ladies at EvenOdd, self-described "granola, hippie types," take such castoffs as these and "upcycle" them - i.e. they recycle them into something more upscale than the original intent - into some pretty bitchin' bags:



They make bags of all sizes, from messenger bags to reusable shopping bags. The D&C article also indicates the ladies are interested in branching out into wrist cuffs and also clutches. What's even cooler is that they have "recycling partners," local agencies that donate their old banners and other items to EvenOdd for materials. Not only do they prevent these items from going into the landfill, every bag is an original creation!

Their green creations are made out of their Neighborhood of the Arts studio (also their home) and sold in the South Wedge trendy boutique Thread. With prices between $20 and $60, the cost is admittedly somewhat more than conventional bags. Still, when one considers that traditional bags tend to be mass-manufactured in sweatshops overseas, it is preferable to spend some more money on a unique, locally-made, creative endeavor. In the end, as with so many things, it's about quality over quantity, and EvenOdd has the former in spades. Don't believe me? Check out their website and consider buying a bag there. Then you can brag, "Oh this? One of a kind." Just like you, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment