Thursday, January 28, 2010

Finger Lakes Wine Takes Top Prize

I don't know about you, but I am far from being a wine snob. I like wine, mind you, but seeing as I tend towards anything that tastes like grapey sugar-water, my tastes can hardly be called discerning.

Palettes much more refined than my own have recently named Keuka Spring Vineyard’s 2008 Gewürztraminer the white wine sweepstakes winner at the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition. This is the largest contest for U.S. wines, so it's kind of a big deal!

Keuka Springs identifies this as a dry white wine, and further describes it as follows:

Very fresh, rich, floral, rose, lychee, and nutty notes with a soft finish. Off-dry. Keuka Spring "Gewurz" makes a wonderful aperitif. Or enjoy it with grilled shrimp or chicken, asparagus, strong cheeses, or Asian cuisine such as Thai curry. The character of this wine is perfect with spicy--or any-- food.

Dry wines are not my thing, but 60 wine experts from across the country tasted this, and the consensus was that this one was the best in the nation. Who am I to argue?

No comments:

Post a Comment