Thursday, March 4, 2010

Scents-less

Two negative posts in short order! How unfortunate. Still, once I read about this, I knew I had to make a post about it.

I caught this article in the Democrat & Chronicle quite by accident, and boy howdy I am glad I did.

The article, for those who choose not to read it, is about a business in Pittsford (a rather well-to-do suburb of Rochester) called Scensibles, which manufactures scented sisposal bags for feminine hygiene products. One of the owners, Ann Germanow, said she was inspired by some of the deplorable conditions in ladies restrooms. Now the Germanows (the company is co-owned by Ann and her husband John) sell a product to companies across the country.

I have seen these bags in ladies rooms, and I must say, my first reaction was "Um, really?" Personally seeing the bags was more offensive than helpful - "Hey, not only are you too dumb to know that certain feminine hygiene products are not meant to be flushed, but your lady-parts stink on top of that." I had flashes of "My Angry Vagina," namely the third paragraph down, from The Vagina Monologues (monologue uses choice language, in case that offends you). I mean really? It's waste. Waste is going to smell (though I can honestly say that only in the most disgusting of restrooms have I ever had an issue with the feminine hygiene disposal being particularly rank). It is in a restroom, for heaven's sake - what do you think people do in restrooms on a regular basis? If it stinks - well, it's almost like people go in there and just pull down their pants and poop!

Not only this, but as far as I have seen, the presence of these disposal bags have really done nothing to change the cleanliness, or lack thereof, of ladies rooms. After all, human nature is human nature, and some people, regardless of the most hygienic and pleasant of accoutrement that may be available, are just going to do gross things anyway. No amount of floral-scented waste-bags is going to change the fact that some nasty, grody people are going to spoil things for the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment