Thursday, February 25, 2010

Magnolia's Cafe

In the City of Rochester one of the more trendy neighborhoods is the Park Avenue area. There are plenty of cute shops and no shortage of restaurants. Small and unassuming, Magnolia’s CafĂ© has a great selection of items using simple ingredients paired just right. In the nicer weather they do also have tables out on the sidewalk.

Magnolia’s menu is comprised of sandwiches (named after local streets), wraps, paninis, soups, salads, and pizzas – however a caveat: Pizzas are only available after 3PM. I was reminded of this on a day when I was really looking forward to their pizza only to learn they wouldn’t be serving it for another couple of hours. Blast! When they are available, however, they are, quite frankly, ginormous. Although they are billed as being one-person servings, you can eat half now and half later – and trust me, I do not eat like a bird at all.

The pizzas are usually my favorite (or were until I was diagnosed with a gluten sensitivity), but the soups are great too – and served with crostini made in-house (well, at least toasted in house). I must especially vouch for the tomato-artichoke soup primarily because I normally hate artichoke with a flaming passion – but I can’t taste it in the soup; instead it lends a creamy texture that is just so beyond perfect. The French onion is nothing to sneeze at either. Keep an eye on the Specials Board too: The day listed above when I had to pick something other than pizza I grabbed a special of Emily’s Grilled Cheese, an herb bread grilled with swiss and goat cheese (I don’t know why, but I am a sucker for goat cheese) – which paired perfectly with the tomato-artichoke soup, an upscale version of an old classic.

I must complain that when they are busy they will not seat you or even take your name if your whole party is not there. Although I know it’s not unheard of, personally I think that’s lousy customer service – and who’s to say you couldn’t get at least an extra drink out of me while I wait? When they are slow, I am happy to report that service is usually better. Another complaint for them is there is no parking but on the street; albeit free, I personally am a very nervous Nellie about street parking. It’s really a minor complaint in the scheme of things, I think – especially since with many Park Ave restaurants, parking is decidedly an issue.

They do also have a counter for take-out (no delivery), but as I have no experience with it I can’t comment either way. Same thing with the desserts: Haven’t had them, so I can’t speak to how great or not-so-great they are. Vegetarians rejoice – there are many options for you on the menu. Also if you would like to have a tipple with your food, they do serve wine and beer.

I first went to Magnolia’s when a friend who was much more savvy about what was available in the actual city brought me (I was still living in the suburb where I grew up) but I didn’t grow to truly appreciate it until I lived close enough to it to enjoy a long stroll out there. Definitely a good choice for brunch or lunch. OK, and probably dinner too – but to me the menu screams early or midday meal with their sandwiches and pizzas. Regardless, plenty of options that are sure to please.

No comments:

Post a Comment